Welcome to The ReaDing Rhinoceros Resources! Happy Reading, Creating, and Exploring! Ray and Deb

Monday, April 20, 2020

Lunchbox Love Note -Poetry Month

Lunchbox Love Note

                 by KENN NESBITT
Inside my lunch
to my surprise
a perfect heart-shaped love note lies.

The outside says, “Will you be mine?” and, “Will you be my valentine?”
I take it out
and wonder who would want to tell me “I love you.”

Perhaps a girl who’s much too shy to hand it to me eye to eye.
Or maybe it
was sweetly penned in private by
a secret friend

Who found my lunchbox sitting by
and slid the note in
on the sly.

Oh, I’d be thrilled if it were Jo,
the cute one in
page1image46398656
the second row.
Or could it be from Jennifer? Has she found out I’m sweet on her?
My mind’s abuzz, my shoulders tense. I need no more
of this suspense.

My stomach lurching in my throat,
I open up
my little note.

Then wham! as if it were a bomb, inside it reads,
“I love you—Mom.”


page2image46526272 Nesbitt, K. (n.d.). Lunchbox Love Note by Kenn Nesbitt. https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/47156/lunchbox-love-note
page2image46527040page2image46528384

ACTIVITY: Saying THANK YOU to our family is a kind and easy thing to do. 
Today is a great day to let your family know how much you appreciate what they do for you. 

Think about what you like most about being a member of your family. What is something your family does to make you feel cared for, happy, safe, and appreciated?

You can use ANY kind of paper. Decorate it if you want, or leave it plain. The IMPORTANT part is that you write or dray a way to say, "THANK YOU" to your family. When you are finished, be sure to clean up any materials you used (that is a way of showing appreciate, too!), and out it somewhere they will find it, like in the refrigerator, on the mirror, on a pillow, or propped up on the table, in the silverware drawer, or someplace that is not obvious but not too hard to find!

It will be fun for you to see when they "discover" your special message!  It feels good to do nice things for others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment