Welcome to The ReaDing Rhinoceros Resources! Happy Reading, Creating, and Exploring! Ray and Deb

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

A Journey - Poetry Month

A Journey
                   By Nikki Giovanni
It’s a journey... that I propose... 
I am not the guide... nor technical assistant... 
I will be your fellow passenger...
Though the rail has been ridden... 
winter clouds cover... autumn’s exuberant quilt... 
we must provide our own guideposts...
I have heard... from previous visitors... 
the road washes out sometimes... 
and passengers are compelled... to continue groping... 
or turn back... I am not afraid...
I am not afraid... of rough spots... or lonely time... 
I don’t fear... the success of this endeavor... 
I am Ra... in a space... not to be discovered... but invented...
I promise you nothing... I accept your promise... 
of the same we are simply riding... a wave... 
that may carry... or crash...
It’s a journey... 
and I want... 
to go...

The collected poetry of Nikki Giovanni, 1968-1998.  https://poets.org/poem/journey
Giovanni, N., & Fowler, V. C. (2007). New York: William Morrow.
Main theme of poem, style, etc. This is a little more on the serious side of poetry. This poem talks about the journey of life and how no one should be leading. We should all walk side by side with each other.
ACTIVITY:   Where do YOU want to go on life’s journey? Using the style of Nikki Giovanni, try to write your own poem about your journey. Use lots of descriptive words, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment