Welcome to The ReaDing Rhinoceros Resources! Happy Reading, Creating, and Exploring! Ray and Deb

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Reading - Poetry

Reading 

By Jacqueline Woodson

 

I am not my sister.
Words from the books curl around each other
make little sense
until
I read them again
and again, the story
settling into memory.  Too slow
the teacher says.
Read faster.
Too babyish, the teacher says.
Read older.
But I don’t want to read faster or older or
any way else that might
make the story disappear too quickly
from where it’s settling
inside my brain,
slowly becoming
a part of me.

A story I will remember
long after I’ve read it for the second,
third, tenth,
hundredth time.

 

Source: https://www.jacquelinewoodson.com/books-ive-written/poetry/


ACTIVITY:  What do you like to read? How are your choices different from your friends or family members? How can you explain your favorite book so someone else will want to read it? What story has become a part of you?


No comments:

Post a Comment