Welcome to The ReaDing Rhinoceros Resources! Happy Reading, Creating, and Exploring! Ray and Deb

Wednesday, November 4, 2020


 Popcorn Poems

Yesterday's post was about the history of popcorn, facts and pictures and a read aloud. 

Today, think about the way popcorn looks, smells, feels, tastes, and SOUNDS when it is being popped!

Poetry is a way to play with words and sounds to describe something. THESE poems are about, you guessed it: POPCORN


Love the Look of Words

by Maya Angelou

Popcorn leaps, popping from the floor of a
hot black skillet and into my mouth.
Black words leap, snapping from the white page.
Rushing into my eyes.
Sliding into my brain which
gobbles them the way my tongue
and teeth chomp
the buttered popcorn.
When I have stopped reading,
ideas from the words stay
stuck in my mind,
like the sweet smell of butter
perfuming
my fingers
long after the popcorn is finished.
I love the book and the look of words
the weight of ideas
that popped into my mind.
I love the tracks of
new thinking in my mind.


And here's one to make you move like you are popcorn!

Pop-Corn

by Evaleen Stein

Pop! Pop!–Poppetty-pop!
Shake and rattle and rattle and shake
The golden grains as they bounce and break
To fluffy puffiness–Poppetty-pop!
Bursting and banging the popper’s top!
Poppetty-pop!
Pop! Pop!

Think of popcorn and make up your own poem or song or dance. Have fun with your friends and family.

POP!

No comments:

Post a Comment